Sustainable Stoke

This book brings together the best minds, thought leaders and the most influential figures from the surf industry,

academia, non-profits, and the surfing community to create a book that explores the cutting edge of the surfing

world’s transition to sustainability.






TRANSITIONS TO SUSTAINABILITY IN THE SURFING WORLD

“WE ALL MAKE CHOICES — CONSCIOUSLY OR SUBCONSCIOUSLY, BUT I THINK WE HAVE A RESPONSIBILITY TO CONSIDER THESE

QUESTIONS AND MAKE THE BEST CHOICES WE CAN. THE INDUSTRY WHERE MY CHOICES HAVE THE MOST IMPACT IS SURFING. SO

HERE I TAKE IT AS MY PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY TO ASK WHAT CAN I DO TO MAKE EACH PRODUCT MORE ENVIRONMENTALLY FRIENDLY”

ROB MACHADO – PROFESSIONAL SURFER, PAGE 60 ALL PROCEEDS FROM THE BOOK WILL GO TO SURF RELATED CHARITIES.




QUIKSILVER CEO BOB MCKNIGHT

Among the amazing list of contributors to Sustainable Stoke is Quiksilver CEO Bob McKnight who gives the view of sustainability from the top of the surf industry. A view critiqued by many of the subsequent contributors, but a vital perspective for understanding the challenges of surfing’s transition to a more sustainable trajectory as the surf industry will need to be a key part of this shift. The video below is from an exclusive interview with Mr McKnight for Sustainable Stoke.



SHAUN TOMSON

Shaun Tomson is a contributor to Sustainable Stoke. He was integral of the beginnings of professional surfing and the surf industry in the early 1970s. As 1977 world surfing champion and the first pro surfer to integrate his support for sustainability into his public persona with Surfrider in 1984, Shaun is well placed to offer observations of the surf industry’s drift from its original intent and mission.


SURFING'S COOLEST CAT, ROB MACHADO

Rob Machado is one of more than 40 contributors to Sustainable Stoke. Rob takes the time to research and question the sustainability claims and dedication of a number of surfing products. Among the questions Rob grapples with in the book are “…is 8.6 million gallons of water too big a sacrifice for one company to be able to sell 15 million t-shirts in a year? If some products use 25% recycled rubber in one component, what about the other 75%? What about the same company’s products without recycled components? If the price of environmentally-conscious products is 25% higher, will consumers buy them?” Rob goes on to argue that “Surfers are naturally in touch with the environment and they influence young, hip culture. Professional surfers may be the best messengers”.



VOLCOM'S SUSTAINABILITY VP

In Sustainable Stoke Derek Sabori gives a personal story of his path to sustainability with Volcom. The video details how far Volcom has come – if only every pro event on the WSL was this sustainable…




SUSTAINABLE STOKE CONTRIBUTORS MAKING WAVES IN SURF INDUSTRY

Sustainable Surf co-founders Kevin Whilden and Michael Stewart have made a significant impact on the surf industry in the short period of time since their inception. Named a 2014 Agent of Change by Surfer Magazine and featured by CBS news in June 2015 for their role in revolutionizing the surfboard industry, Kevin and Michael’s contribution to Sustainable Stoke: Transitions to Sustainability in the Surfing World outlines in detail their process to date, the dangers that climate change poses to surf breaks, and how surfing can provide an ‘on ramp’ to a wholistically sustainable, ‘deep blue life‘.

The following video is a trailer for chapter 5.6 of Sustainable Stoke.